Thursday, October 15, 2009

Interesting English Facts

Hi guys, I know it is going to be lame but I managed to find some interesting English facts which I would like to share with you. So, read on...

The longest one-syllable word in the English
language is "screeched."

No word in English language rhymes with
"month," "silver," "purple," or "orange."

The longest word in the English language,
according to the Oxford English Dictionary, is
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

The longest place-name still in use is
Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwe-nuakit natahu,
the Maori name of a hill in New Zealand.

'Stewardesses' is the longest English word that
is typed with only the left hand. (interesting?)


"Underground" is the only word in English that
begins and ends with the letters "und."

One common mistake mentioned by people is "I want to FETCH my son to school." That is incorrect. "Fetch" is defined as an action to go or come after and bring or take back. When you use that sentence, you mean that you are bringing your son to school and then bringing him back home. That is not the case! Instead, you should say "I want to SEND my son to school" or "I am going to fetch my son from school."

Have a great weekend!

Posted by: Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment